2013 Grantmakers Retreat
March 13 - 16, 2013
FUNDING FORWARD: What's Next for LGBTQ Philanthropy?
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Made possible by the support and partnership of these members:
- M. V. Lee Badgett, Director, Center for Public Policy & Administration, University of Massachusetts Amherst and Research Director, The Williams Institute
- William C. Bell, President/CEO, Casey Family Programs
- Kellan Baker, Associate Director of the LGBT Research and Communications Project, Center for American Progress
- Sangeeta Budhiraja, Director of Programs, Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice
- Brian T. Byrnes, President & CEO, Sante Fe Community Foundation
- Denicia Cadena, Interim Director, Young Women United
- Jacob Candelaria, State Senator, New Mexico Legislature (invited)
- Chloë Cooney, Director of Global Advocacy, Planned Parenthood Federation of America
- Soraya Elcock, Board Vice President, Paul Rapoport Foundation and Vice President For Strategic Initiatives, Harlem United
- James Esseks, Litigation Director, Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender & AIDS Project, American Civil Liberties Union
- Vicki Gaubeca, Director, Regional Center for Border Rights, ACLU-NM
- Elisa Gerontianos, Senior Program Executive, Arcus Foundation
- Laura A. Hughes, Consultant and former Executive Director, Ruth Ellis Center
- Jennifer Kates, Vice President and Director of Global Health & HIV Policy, Kaiser Family Foundation
- Kate Kendell, Executive Director, National Center for Lesbian Rights
- Andrew Lane, Executive Director, Johnson Family Foundation and Board Chair, FLGBTQI
- Adrien Lawyer, Executive Director, Transgender Resource Center of New Mexico
- Andrew Park, Program Director, Wellspring Advisors
- Lourdes Rivera, Program Officer, Ford Foundation
- Therese R. Rodriguez, Chief Executive Officer, APICHA Community Health Center
- Dr. Anita Radix, Senior Director of Research and Education, Callen-Lorde Community Health Center
- Amber Royster, Executive Director, Equality New Mexico
- Michelle Sue Sherman, Fellow, Native Youth Leadership Alliance
- Peter G. Simonson, Executive Director, ACLU-NM
- Felipe Sousa-Rodriguez, National Field Director, GetEQUAL.org
- Sally Steenland, Director, Faith & Progressive Policy Initiative, Center for American Progress
- Robert Sturm, Program Director, New Mexico Community AIDS Partnership
- K. Sujata, President/CEO, Chicago Foundation for Women
- Tim Sweeney, President/CEO, Gill Foundation
- Daniel Zingale, Senior Vice President, The California Endowment
Schedule subject to change
Wednesday, March 13th
2:00-6:00pm • Retreat Registration Table Open
6:00-7:30pm • Opening Dinner - The New Mexico Landscape: Local Voices (click here for details)
Thursday, March 14th
9:00am • Breakfast available
9:30am-12:30pm • Conversation 1: The Lived Experience of LGBTQ People: A Framework for Funding (click here for details)
12:30-1:15m • Lunch
1:15-5:00pm • Conversation 2: LGBTQ Health Care: Where Service Meets Advocacy (click here for details)
6:00-7:30pm • Dinner
7:45-8:30pm • Cultural Program: Nacha Mendez (click here for details)
Friday, March 15th
9:30am • Breakfast available
10:00am - 10:45am • Policy Briefing - The View From Here: Immigrant Justice and Marriage Equality in New Mexico (click here for details)
11:00am-1:00pm • Conversation 3: Taking Liberties: The Impact of Religious Exemptions on the LGBTQ Community (click here for details)
1:00-2:30pm • Lunch Presentation: The Physics of LGBTQ Funding: Momentum, Resistance, and Impact (click here for details)
2:30-5:30pm • Open Space & Caucuses (click here for details)
6:00-8:00pm • Reception
Dinner on your own
Saturday, March 16th
9:00 • Breakfast available
9:30-12:00pm • Conversation 4: Funding Strategies for a U.S. of Diverse Youth and Families (click here for details)
12:00pm • Boxed Lunches to go
RETREAT PLANNING COMMITTEE
Registration is open to representatives from any grantmaking entity or philanthropic infrastructure organization (e.g., board members, staff, grant advisory committee members, etc.).
- Rod Boren, Santa Fe Community Foundation
- Tony Bowen, Annie E. Casey Foundation
- Sangeeta Budhiraja, Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice
- Maria Cadenas, Driscoll's, FLGBTQI board
- Alexandra DelValle, Groundswell Fund
- Carrie Eberhardy, Santa Fe Community Foundation
- Jennifer Faibanks, Native Americans in Philanthropy
- John Feather, Grantmakers in Aging
- Patrick Flaherty, Gill Foundation
- Rebecca Fox, Wellspring Advisors, FLGBTQI Board
- Samantha Franklin, Johnson Family Foundation
- Kaying Hang, Grantmakers Concerned with Immigrants and Refugees
- Jason McGill, Philanthropy New York
- Jon Quinn, Santa Fe Community Foundation
- Susan Raffo, Pfund Foundation
- Cindy T. Rizzo, Arcus Foundation, FLGBTQI Board
- Patricia St. Onge, Seven Generations Consulting and Coaching, FLGBTQI Board
Opening Reception at 7pm Wednesday March 13th
Closing Session Ends at 12pm Saturday March 16th
125 2nd Street, NW
Albuquerque, NM 87102
Funders for LGBTQ Issues has secured discounted room rates at the hotel. Attendees are responsible for the cost of their rooms and for securing their own reservations.
You may reserve your room by either calling the hotel or using their online reservation site:
THE HOTEL ANDALUZ IS SOLD OUT!
- You may call the Hotel Andaluz at 505-242-9090 and mention "Funders for LGBTQ Issues" to qualify for the discounted per night room rates.
- You may also book reservations online by going to this link.
- The discounted room rate is $149.
- These reduced rates are not guaranteed after Monday, February 25th 2013.
- The Hotel will offer the same rates (3) days prior and (3) days after the event, depending upon availability. If you wish to take advantage of the discounted rate for these days, please call the hotel directly, as these dates depend upon availability. You will not be able to reserve the pre or post retreat dates using the online link shared above.
Please see below for our overflow hotel!
Where (OVERFLOW HOTEL):
DoubleTree by Hilton
201 Marquette Avenue NW
Albuquerque, NM 87102
Funders for LGBTQ Issues has secured discounted room rates at the DoubleTree by Hilton as we are sold out of rooms at the Hotel Andaluz. Attendees are responsible for the cost of their rooms and for securing their own reservations.
Please call the hotel to reserve a room:
NOTE: In support of the global boycott of Hyatt hotels, we have relocated our event to a this historic boutique hotel in downtown Albuquerque. We apologize for any inconvenience.
- You may call the DoubleTree by Hiltonat 800-584-5058 and mention "LGBTQ Funders" to qualify for the discounted per night room rates.
- The discounted room rate is $119.
- These reduced rates are not guaranteed after Wednesday, March 6th, 2013.
- There is a complimentary shuttle to/from the Airport.
- This hotel is 5 minutes walking distance from the Hotel Andaluz.
These airlines serve the Albuquerque International Airport (ABQ): American Airlines, Delta Airlines, Frontier Airlines, Great Lakes Airlines, New Mexico Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Airlines, & US Airways.
Early bird registration ended Friday, February 15th
Note: Registration fees are not refundable after Tuesday, February 19, 2013 (5pm ET).
Click here to register.
- $600 early bird registration for members
- $700 early bird registration for non-members
- $680 after Friday, February 15th (5pm ET) for members
- $780 after Friday, February 15th (5pm ET) for non-members
Only Grantmakers Invited? Yes
Category(s): Philanthropic Sector
Focus(es): Focus on Bisexuals, Focus on Gay Men, Focus on Lesbians, Focus on Transgender People